Why I am against Autism Speaks (made rebloggable by request)
Autism Speaks is probably the most well-known charity out there when it comes to autism. Just because they have the most media coverage and celebrity support does not mean they are a good organization.
- Autism Speaks does not have a single autistic member on their board.
- Autism Speaks only spends 4% of their budget on “family services”.
- The majority of Autism Speaks’ money goes toward research, and the majority of that research is to find a way to rid the world of autism, and thus, autistics.
- Autism Speaks produces advertisments, small films, etc. about what a burden autistic people are to society.
- Autism Speaks was responsible for “Autism Every Day”, which featured a member of their board talking about contemplating murder-suicide of her daughter in front of her daughter. This has now be removed from Autism Speaks’ Youtube channel but can still be found elsewhere.
- Autism Speaks is responsible for the atrocity known as “I am Autism”, a short film comparing autism to cancer, AIDS, and blaming autism as the reason why marriages break up.
In short, Autism Speaks makes it much harder for those of us who have autism to be taken seriously. Autism is considered to be a child’s disease (not that it’s even actually a disease at all), and you will often hear people say “where are all the adult autistics?” Well, we’re right here in front of you. We may have been misdiagnosed with learning disorders, mental retardation and other mental illnesses when the diagnoses of autism, PDD-NOS and Asperger’s weren’t as precise (or even existent) as they are now. We vary in where we fall on the spectrum. Don’t make assumptions about us because we can use a computer.
For further reading, here are a few resources about Autism Speaks:
Editing the original post so that I can include which Autism related charities to support. Let me say that besides the first one, all of them are very parent-oriented organizations, meaning that adult autistics may have issues with them. These are ones that I have either heard recommended highly by autistic parents (meaning autistic people who are parents, not “autism parents”) or that I’ve personally interacted with. None of them are perfect, but these are far better places to donate your money if you’re looking for a charity to support.
The ARC (this is not autism specific, but our local one has a couple of autism-specific events, so was worth including).
It’s officially 30 minutes before April is over here on the west coast, so um, I’m reblogging this just one more time. I still have to blink in amazement at the number of notes this has received. Amazing.
Also, because I’ve had people ask, I am 100% fine with you reproducing this information. I am more concerned with getting the message out there than anything else, though it is nice to be credited (and if you need a name to use, my name is Rose Jordan).
- overzealousnub likes this
- sailorcresselia reblogged this from pizzacait
- andrusi reblogged this from pizzacait
- andrusi likes this
- pizzacait reblogged this from razorsaw
- nandosagi reblogged this from quiet-dragon
- ravenclaws-wit reblogged this from basedceerex
- fuckyeahassortedstuff reblogged this from razorsaw
- quiet-dragon reblogged this from razorsaw
- quiet-dragon likes this
- steveclark- reblogged this from theherdier
- theanalyzersfanfics reblogged this from razorsaw
- razorsaw reblogged this from demothi
- demothi reblogged this from mechaknight
- mechaknight reblogged this from ayellowbirds
- maximiliani likes this
- ayellowbirds reblogged this from anna-wa
- rosesakurax reblogged this from anna-wa
- score-mike-richards likes this
- anna-wa reblogged this from goldenheartedrose
- greenhills123 reblogged this from crunkfeministcollective
- collycoll likes this
- lildeadkitty reblogged this from goldenheartedrose
- coloursofextraordinary reblogged this from crunkfeministcollective
- naoki-the-lunar-wolf likes this
- miaulementx likes this
- theburstingrhyme reblogged this from goldenheartedrose
- theburstingrhyme likes this
- jsalvador likes this
- chairolyn likes this
- fishyou likes this
- asianmisandrist reblogged this from queergiftedblack
- emmaofthestars likes this
- weatherhat reblogged this from dancelikeyrfighting
- imperoyalblue likes this
- realityhasleftme reblogged this from asexual-not-a-sexual
- realityhasleftme likes this
- acceptthis likes this
- wowokayhey likes this
- nihilistbatking reblogged this from crunkfeministcollective
- olsoulnugrowth likes this
- megalame reblogged this from goatygoatyeah
- lordewilling likes this
- nggaluvr likes this
- davidofchiara likes this
- rjdookster likes this
- hetmarriage likes this
- cosuman reblogged this from goatygoatyeah
- rottenmeats reblogged this from goatygoatyeah